Cinematoraphy Opera browser: Why I love it beyond the common praises

Thảo luận trong 'ENGLISH' bắt đầu bởi Allan Tépper, 23/3/19.

Lượt xem: 418

1. [​IMG]

Many people —and other reviewers— have praised the free, cross-platform and open source Opera browser because of its speed, small footprint, and low demand on resources. Others have applauded its facility to capture screenshots even from websites that prevent it, or because of its built-in VPN. On the other hand, I also love Opera for its URL presentation, something I haven’t seen mentioned in other reviews. At least I have observed that feature in Opera’s macOS and Android version. Opera is also available for basic phones, Linux, USB and Windows. Ahead I’ll cover that benefit in more detail.

URL visual presentation in Opera

At least in its Android and macOS version, the free Opera browser shows URLs in the absolute cleanest way possible, while truncating (hiding) the standard protocol prefix and separators, like HTTPS:// (indicating a secure connection, via a TLS/SSL certificate, which has been a Google decree since 2014) or (yikes) HTTP:// (which indicates the lack of a secure connection).

[​IMG]

Also, when deserved by a complete HTTPS connection, the Opera browser (at least in its Android and macOS versions) displays a green padlock, as shown above.

URL visual presentation in Chrome

In 2018, Google’s Chrome browser sadly retired the use of the green-colored padlock in favor of a grey one. In Chrome version 69, it also briefly truncated the protocol and separator (HTTPS:// or HTTP://) as it it were following Opera and Safari. However, Chrome version 69 also took the additional step of truncating subdomains, including WWW and others. That specific move caused a huge amount of complaints from the Internet community, since many had security concerns regarding possible phishing attacks. Rather than simply refraining from truncating subdomains, the Google Chrome team sadly made a 180-degree retreat and also refrained again from truncating the protocol (HTTPS:// or HTTP://) and separators. That is sad, because Chrome is even worse now (in this esthetic respect) than it was before, since in the process it unfortunately lost the green padlock too.

URL visual presentation in Safari

At least as long as I can recall, Apple’s Safari has always truncated the protocol and prefix (HTTPS:// or HTTP://), but only displays a green padlock if the website owner has purchased a much more expensive TLS/SSL certificate called EV (extended verification) which I have seen on very few occasions and cannot justify its price for this reason only, considering that the Safari browser has less then 6% of Internet traffic. Perhaps there are some applications where an EV certificate is required for other reasons, but I don’t find it justifiable just to make the padlock go from grey to green in a browser with such a small percentage. This does not mean that it is a bad browser just because it has a small usage percentage. The Opera browser has an even smaller percentage, but fortunately does show the green padlock with standard TLS/SSL certificates.

Chrome extensions in Opera

Fortunately, many extensions made for Chrome can work in Opera too.

Conclusions and related article

I believe that the Opera browser’s approach to truncating the protocol and separator (HTTPS:// or HTTP://) while maintaining the subdomain (when present) and green padlock (when deserved) is both the best user experience and the best branding experience for the website. See my related article 5 reasons to remove WWW from your website (illustrated below) in Medium.

[​IMG]

That same article is available in Castilian (castellano), the most widely used of the 5 official Spanish languages, as 5 motivos para eliminar WWW de tu sitio web.

(Re-)Subscribe for upcoming articles, reviews, radio shows, books and seminars/webinars

Stand by for upcoming articles, reviews, and books. Sign up to my free mailing list by clicking here. If you previously subscribed to my bulletins and no longer receive them, you must re-subscribe due to new compliance to GDPR. Most of my current books are at books.AllanTepper.com, and my personal website is AllanTepper.com. Also visit radio.AllanTepper.com.

Si deseas suscribirte (o volver a suscribirte) a mi lista en castellano, visita aquí. Si prefieres, puedes suscribirte a ambas listas (castellano e inglés).

Suscribe to his BeyondPodcasting show at BeyondPodasting.com.

Subscribe to his Tu radio global show at Turadioglobal.com.

Subscribe to his Tu salud secreta show at TuSaludSecreta.com.

Subscribe to his award-winning CapicúaFM show at CapicúaFM.com.

Save US$20 on Google Fi, my favorite mobile telephony and data service

Click here to save US$20 on Google Fi, which now works on iPhone and Android. With Google Fi (covered previously in several articles), there is no extra charge for data-only SIM cards on the same account, for up to 10 devices. You only pay for the total data, and data is free after 6 GB per month. So you could be using one Google FI SIM card on your primary phone, another in a tablet or secondary phone (or third, of fourth…).

FTC disclosure

No manufacturer is specifically paying Allan Tépper or TecnoTur LLC to write this article or the mentioned books. Some of the other manufacturers listed above have contracted Tépper and/or TecnoTur LLC to carry out consulting and/or translations/localizations/transcreations. Many of the manufacturers listed above have sent Allan Tépper review units. So far, none of the manufacturers listed above is/are sponsors of the TecnoTur , BeyondPodcastingCapicúaFM or TuRadioGlobal programs, although they are welcome to do so, and some are, may be (or may have been) sponsors of ProVideo Coalition magazine. Some links to third parties listed in this article and/or on this web page may indirectly benefit TecnoTur LLC via affiliate programs. Allan Tépper’s opinions are his own. Allan Tépper is not liable for misuse or misunderstanding of information he shares.

Copyright and use of this article

The articles contained in the TecnoTur channel in ProVideo Coalition magazine are copyright Allan Tépper/TecnoTur LLC, except where otherwise attributed. Unauthorized use is prohibited without prior approval, except for short quotes which link back to this page, which are encouraged!

The post Opera browser: Why I love it beyond the common praises appeared first on ProVideo Coalition.