Cinematoraphy Protecting the Bright Tangerine Misfit

Thảo luận trong 'ENGLISH' bắt đầu bởi Matthew Jeppsen - DP, 17/6/18.

Lượt xem: 467

1. A few years ago I stopped buying cameras, and started putting my yearly gear acquisition budget into grip, lighting, and camera support gear with a long useful life. Tools like monitors, lenses, batteries and power distro, and a good mattebox and filters. I’ve invested in the Bright Tangerine Misfit mattebox, and use it primarily as a clip-on with 4×5.65 Firecrest IRNDs. I’ve been looking for a good case solution for this kit for some time, and finally have a solution that works for my needs. I wouldn’t really call this a review, so much as just “hey, this worked for me.”

In general, I don’t love custom-cut solutions like what Jason Cases offers…they don’t give you flexibility to modify the kit over time. And at $479 for the Misfit case, they are a bit pricey. Bright Tangerine’s Misfit hard case is even more, at $547. I tend to lean towards a Pelican case with Trekpak dividers, as they give you flexibility to re-arrange the kit and add and remove components over time. So I was all set to buy a Pelican 1520 with Trekpak kit (about $223 total), until I came across the $243 Pelican 1526 Combo Case kit. Boom…the heavens opened up and angels sang.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Pelican 1526 kit is pretty clever, it gives you a 1527 soft bag with shoulder strap that fits perfectly inside a Pelican 1520 case. This system works well for me, as sometimes you want a soft bag that you can sling over your shoulder and move quickly with. It will fit nicely onto an AC’s cart, and it doesn’t require your AC to make a bunch of space in their often-overflowing ditty bag for the mattebox kit. So you get the advantages of a soft bag, with the protection of a hard case when production is moving locations.

[​IMG]

The soft bag feels robust and secure, with good zippers and buckles. It has an upper and a lower section with separate zipper openings, and an interior divider between the two that can be removed. There are side entry zippers as well. It comes with a bunch of interior dividers that would work well for lenses, but I removed most of them from the center section, and the Misfit mattebox and french flag fits nicely right in the middle. It would be a little tight if you leave the rod support on your mattebox, but you can adjust that lower compartment divider to make it fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The upper right and left sides are big enough to hold filters and accessories…I’m using them for extra filter trays, the BT rod support, and clamp-on rings for various size lens fronts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the lower compartment I’ve got all my filters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both upper and lower compartments are accessible when the bag is inside the 1520 hard case, so you can use it as a traditional hard case and just remove the soft bag when needed. And if you had only a few filters in your kit, you could probably reconfigure the bag to leave room for a couple prime lenses, and treat it like a very basic AC/ditty bag in a pinch. Interior dimensions are 12.5 x 6.3 x 17.5″ or 31.7 x 16 x 44cm.

So there you have it. A reasonably affordable case solution for the Bright Tangerine Misfit, with the added flexibility of everything in a go-bag. I’m really happy with this solution, maybe it will work for you too. Happy filming!

The post Protecting the Bright Tangerine Misfit appeared first on ProVideo Coalition.