WD My Passport Wireless SSD – Offload and Review Footage Without a Laptop

Thảo luận trong 'ENGLISH' bắt đầu bởi Olaf von Voss, 11/1/18.

Lượt xem: 950

1. At this year’s CES, Western Digital have updated their previous My Passport Wireless Pro lineup of portable external storage devices to new SSD-equipped models. While WD My Passport Wireless SSD might be a slightly tongue-twisting name, the product itself seems to be very capable!

[​IMG]

SSD is becoming mainstream in both ways: capacity and pricepoint. While conventional HDDs are still around of course, their more rugged and more lightweight solid state counterparts are becoming more and more affordable while continuously gaining capacity.

WD My Passport Wireless SSD

If you’re a on-the-go shooter, a fast SSD is a good companion for offloading your valuable footage in the field. If that SSD happen to be a My Passport Wireless SSD you get some extra value in a compact package:

• 250GB – 2TB Storage Capacity / durable, shock-resistant SSD
    • SD Card Slot (USB 2.0) with one-touch copy button
    • Built-In 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity
    • Up to 10 Hour Battery Life, can be used as a powerbank
    • Up to 2.4A Power Output
    • USB 3.0 interface (for external disks)
    • Wirelessly stream 4K videos and view photos

[​IMG]

Watch the short introduction video below for a quick rundown of features:

This SSD is quite similar to the kickstarter-fueled GNARBOX (read the article here). The capacity of the My Passport Wireless SSD is much bigger, though: 250GB, 500GB, 1TB and 2TB models are available. Plus, this SSD doubles as a 6,700 mAh powerbank, which is pretty neat!

[​IMG]

After importing your files via the built-in SD card reader (other types can be hooked up via USB), you can use the free WD My Cloud app (iOS | android) to review your footage and even preview raw photos on your smartphone or tablet. A list of supported raw formats can be found here. No need to schlepp your laptop around anymore.

3rd Party Software

So far, the My Passport Wireless SSD is good for backing up and reviewing your footage but with certain 3rd party apps it really shows its full potential: If you happen to be a FiLMiC Pro (iOS | android) user, you now can connect your smartphone to the WD SSD to write footage directly to the drive as you film so you save space on your phone.

[​IMG]

Also, the iOS-only app LumaFusion (App Store) can interact with the My Passport Wireless SSD directly. That way, you can use the iOS-based multi-track editing and grading suite for creating your film while in the field and without a laptop.

Specification and Pricing

The WD My Passport Wireless SSD is available in four storage sizes and therefore the same amount of different prices applies:

• 250GB for $229.99
    • 500GB for $299.99
    • 1TB for $499.99
    • 2TB for $799.99

All models are on pre-order right now, shipping is estimated to start on February 15th.

[​IMG]It measures 135 x 135 mm (5.31″ x 5.31″) and weighs about 0.44 kg (0.97 lb). The size of the unit is not exactly super small but it’s still portable enough to be tucked away into your backpack easily.

links: Western Digital | FiLMiC Pro | LumaTouch

What do you think? Is this something you would use in the field? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

The post WD My Passport Wireless SSD – Offload and Review Footage Without a Laptop appeared first on cinema5D.